Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what's in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time
Slipping through my fingers -
from the musical, Mamma Mia
This was the song I had running through my head Saturday afternoon.
I was making a pie with my boy.

His little hands and face were covered in flour.

I can remember making pies with my mother.
I remember the way she rolled the dough, the way she pinched the edges shut.
I hope my Christopher will remember the times his mommy made pie for him.
I hope I can remember making them with him.

I want to remember what he looked like, how tall he was.

The sound of his little voice.
His funny conversations - something about feeding the extra dough to the birds outside and how they could find berries and make their own pies.
I told him that could definitely happen.
I want to remember his anxious little face

waiting for his little creation in the oven.
Extra pie crust cut into the shape of a motorcycle.
Awesome.
As soon as it is out of the oven it is already on a plate and in his mouth.
He runs off to start a new adventure and all that's left are a few crumbs.

I try so hard to soak up all these precious memories,
but this little boy is seriously slipping through my fingers all the time.
What memories are you trying to hold on to??
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what's in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time
Slipping through my fingers -
from the musical, Mamma Mia
This was the song I had running through my head Saturday afternoon.
I was making a pie with my boy.

His little hands and face were covered in flour.

I can remember making pies with my mother.
I remember the way she rolled the dough, the way she pinched the edges shut.
I hope my Christopher will remember the times his mommy made pie for him.
I hope I can remember making them with him.

I want to remember what he looked like, how tall he was.

The sound of his little voice.
His funny conversations - something about feeding the extra dough to the birds outside and how they could find berries and make their own pies.
I told him that could definitely happen.
I want to remember his anxious little face

waiting for his little creation in the oven.
Extra pie crust cut into the shape of a motorcycle.
Awesome.
As soon as it is out of the oven it is already on a plate and in his mouth.
He runs off to start a new adventure and all that's left are a few crumbs.

I try so hard to soak up all these precious memories,
but this little boy is seriously slipping through my fingers all the time.
What memories are you trying to hold on to??
6 comments:
Pretty much the same stuff you wrote so beautifully about. I look at my oldest, Allen, almost ready to graduate from high school, and I can hardly imagine his not being here in the near future. I am not ready for college, a mission... and beyond. I look at my little Owen and know he's going to grow as fast as Allen did. But there's nothing I can do to slow things down - I just have to try to live in each moment and capture them in photographs and written words.
I am not sure that a blog post about your life is supposed to make your readers start to cry. No fair!!
I'm going to hold Jenna on my lap and give her a kiss in honor of your post :)!!
Also I found a website that takes your blog and makes it into a book. You should do it because your blog is full of beautiful words and pictures and would be fun to look through. Anyways!
Wow, this really made me cry, not only because my little girl that use to make pies with me is all grown up but because my little grandson is growing up as well, making pies with her. How fun! Love you both so much!
Wow! I want some of that pie! As always you are the best & I'm so grateful our precious Chris & Andy have a pie-making momma. oxox
Love this blog
That pie looks D-licious. What a fun and cute tradition.
Post a Comment